Couple of weeks ago my boss was going on and on about some “Coke Cake,” and not that my mind is in the gutter or anything, but I automatically assumed a cake made out of the drug that looks like powdered sugar and reminds me of the movie ‘Blow‘ with Johnny Depp. Low and behold, he was actually talking about a cake made out of coca-cola. I still thought it was a joke until he sent me pictures and random recipes for it online. Well, if you want to know how the topic of coke cake came up during work, I’ll tell you. Basically I tease my boss about the amount of coke he drinks- a pretty generous amount on a daily. And until I came to the office, they were all drinking NASTY diet coke– EW who drinks that knowing that Coke-Zero has been created?! So now with my wonderful suggestion of ordering Coke-Zero, I’ve gotten everyone hooked on it! Then he brought up this “Coke Cake,” and after realizing it wasn’t made with drugs, I quickly lost interest-psyche just kidding!
I was actually really intrigued by the concept and wanted to know more! I looked up a few recipes, and basically discovered that each recipe had pretty standard ingredients- except they all used regular Coca-Cola and I wanted to make it with Coke-Zero! I mean may as well save a few calories where I can! Oh, and I actually made 2 small cakes out of this recipe- one for home and one for work, but it can easily be made into 1 cake!
The cake was surprisingly yummy- and I say surprisingly because I didn’t really know what to except! The consistency was moist and dense, but slightly spongy and airy- because of the coke! It tasted like a cross between a chocolate cake/brownie but with a hint of Coca-Cola. It’s really tasty! And let me tell you it was a HIT with everyone- non-chocolate lovers, and non-coca-cola lovers alike. They loved it.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Ghiradelli Brand)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs at room temperature (for tips to get your eggs from the fridge to room temperature fast, click here)
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream (I use Breakstone’s Brand)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup Coca-Cola Zero
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Confectioners’ sugar for serving
- sliced/whole fresh strawberries
- PAM Baking Flavor
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. If making one cake, spray a 9-10′ square/circle baking pan. If making 2 smaller cakes, spray 2 8′ baking pans.
1. In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Once blended well, add the brown sugar and whisk together until all the brown sugar clumps are broken up and blended well into the mixture.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream, oil, coca-cola and vanilla extract. Using a wooden spoon, slowly pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until well combine and NOT clumpy. But do NOT overmix- you want the batter to be airy from the carbonation in the coke, and if you mix it too hard- well then there’s not purpose to the Coke Cake!
3. Pour the batter into your prepared baking dish(es) and bake for about 1 hour and 5 minutes (more or less depending on intensity of oven. At 1 hours, check to see if the batter is cooked using a wooden stick. Once finished, remove and place on wire rack to cool- do not remove from pan yet. Once the cake is COMPLETELY cool, remove from the pan onto a serving dish. Dust with a generous amount of powdered sugar and serve with sliced strawberries (and even vanilla ice cream if you wish!)
Like Chocolate & Dessert? Check These Out!