An awesome vegetarian side dish that’s great for the cold weather season. Warm and hearty, this stuffing is filled with my homemade Brioche, dried figs and crunchy walnut. I add some sweet, I add some spice, and you’ve got yourself a great side dish. The leftover can be turned into stuffing muffins, or just reheated and eaten as is.
Herbed Brioche Stuffing with Fig & Walnut:
- 1 brioche loaf– cubed and dried (overnight preferably)
- 1 fuji apple- diced
- 1 white onion- diced
- 6-7 dried figs- diced
- 23 cup glazed walnuts (RECIPE BELOW)
- 1 tbsp sage- fresh chopped
- 1 tbsp thyme- fresh chopped
- salt- to taste
- coarse black pepper- few grinds
- 1-2 tbsp red crushed pepper (or to taste)
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock (low sodium)
- clove powder- small pinch
- 1/8 tsp (or less) nutmeg- freshly grated
- 1/8 tsp (or less) ginger powder
- PAM Butter Flavor
- fresh chives- chopped for garnishing
Preheat oven 350 degrees.
1. In a large skillet over medium-low heat spray with pam, add onion and apple. Saute until onions are translucent and apples are slightly soft. Add herbs, red crushed pepper and spices.
Cook for another few minutes until fragrant and soft. Add walnuts, dried figs, dried brioche, salt and pepper. Combine over low heat making sure to coat every piece. Pour into a large rectangular oven-proof dish.
2. Add the vegetable stock and mix until stuffing is moistened and sticking together. Add a few more fresh chopped herbs and taste for salt and pepper. Spread evenly in dish and cover with foil.
3. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes, until stuffing is cooked and browned. I removed the foil for the last 5-8 minutes, so the top would brown and get crispy.
4. Serve as a side dish to your favorite meal!
Homemade Glazed Walnuts:
- 2/3 cup walnuts
- PAM Butter Flavor
- 1 tsp unsalted butter (optional)
1. In a small skillet over medium heat, spray with PAM and add butter. Add walnuts and toss. Cook for about 3-4 minutes until soft and heated through. You don’t want them to burn. Just want them coated and toasted. Remove from the heat and cool before adding to the stuffing.
Want More Yummy Vegetarian Side Dishes?