I love breakfast foods, especially pancakes and traditional french toast with creme fraiche and preserves. But, that can get pretty fattening and I like to keep my mornings hearty yet healthy. This is my take on french toast with a healthy Indian twist! It’s actually a recipe that I took from my uncle in India. I start of with sauteed onions, eggwhites and cilantro. It’s time to spice up your mornings a bit! Here’s my recipe for Indian French Toast!
Indian French Toast:
- 1 slice hearty white/wheat bread- (I use Pepperidge Farm)
- 2 jumbo egg whites
- handful of cilantro- finely chopped
- 1/2 small white onion- finely diced
- cayenne pepper- to taste
- coarse black pepper- few grinds
- salt- 1/2 tsp (to taste)
- PAM– original flavor
Tools: medium sized non-stick skillet, spatula, bowl
1. Spray skillet with PAM and set over medium-low flame. Add onions and saute till golden-brown and soft.
2. In a bowl add egg whites, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt and cilantro. Add the onions once they’re done cooking. Mix everything together well. Dip the bread into the mixture, coating each side heavily.
3. Set skillet on medium-low flame. Pour a little of the leftover egg mixture into bottom of the pan. Place the soaked bread over it, and pour the rest of the remaining egg mixture on top.
4. Cook each side about 2-3 minutes, flip once. Once the egg is golden brown and cooked through remove from skillet. Cut into half and sprinkle with cayenne pepper and garnish with cilantro.
Cilantro spoiling on you quickly? Try these techniques: Cilantro Tips
1 slice bread: 1.5 grams of fat, 110 calories
2 jumbo egg whites: 0 grams fat, 17-20 calories each
everything else is fat free/calorie free!
Check it out!