So it was falafel night again- if you haven’t noticed by now my family and I dislike eating the same type of food every night! And falafels are really easy to make and generally healthy. Of course I made my Roasted Garlic Baba Ghanoush and Roasted Garlic-Chili Hummus to accompany our Middle-Eastern/Mediterranean (whichever you prefer) meal. But I was also really in the mood for cornbread and I know that cornbread isn’t something that’s typically eaten in the Mediterranean or Middle-East for that matter, but I figured what the heck I don’t need to cook by any rules or standards! I let my creativity get to work (I was pretty hungry which helped too!) and I added a few ingredients that made these cornbread hushpuppies taste pretty authentic! Especially topped with the Baba Ghanoush it was delicious! I also used fat-free milk and reduced fat feta cheese in my recipe, so they’re pretty healthy! Also I used my fabulous Babycakes Machine and it was AMAZING, fast and so convenient especially for a weeknight side dish (aka these yummy hushpuppies).. Yes I am still obsessed with my babycakes machine.
Anyway, here’s my recipe for Mediterranean Hushpuppies– of course you can alter the spice to your tastebuds :p
- 1 cup cornmeal (I used Quaker Oats Brand)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg (preferably room temperature)
- 1 1/4 cup milk (I used skim plus)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup reduced fat crumbled feta (I used Athenos Brand)
- 6-8 Calamata Olives- finely diced
- 3-4 tbsp red crushed pepper
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- coarse black pepper- few grinds
- PAM butter flavor
1. Mix together egg, milk and oil. Add cornmeal and flour and stir until moistened (do not overmix!). Add seasonings and cheese and combine.
2. Plug in babycakes machine and spray with PAM. Pour about 1 1/2 tbsp of batter into each cup (do not over fill!) Cook for about 8 minutes until golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
3. Serve with sprinkled feta, hummus and baba ghanoush, YUM!
Makes about 25-30 hushpuppies