Do you have seasonal farmers markets near you? Take. Advantage. Over the years, I have found some of the best produce from locally grown & organic farms. And they are quite inexpensive. I was fortunate enough to have the local farmers gather in Dag Hammarskjold Plaza right next to my condo. There was so much produce – all different colors and styles – I had to control myself! I ended up getting a few Candy Cane Beets, Purple Carrots, Red Jalapenos, Blue Potatoes, among other goodies. Given that these were fresh and beautiful, I didn’t want to do much to overwhelm their natural flavors. I kept it simple and fresh.
Roasted ‘Candy Cane’ Vegetables:
- 4 Candy Cane Beets – peeled, cut in thin half moons
- 4 Purple Carrots – peeled and cut into strips
- 4 Blue Potatoes – scrubbed and cut into thin rounds
- 2 Red Jalapenos – minced
- 4 cloves garlic – peeled and slightly mashed
- 1 tbsp good quality maple syrup
- 1 tbsp fresh sage – cut into thin ribbons
- black pepper
- olive oil
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees.
2. In a large sheet pan, add chopped veggies and all of the ingredients. Coat with about 2 tbsp olive oil and toss well to make sure all veggies are coated with oil and seasonings. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until veggies are fork tender – not mushy.
3. Serve with some more sea salt and fresh sage sprinkled on top either alone or with rice. Enjoy!