Lassi is a classic Indian yogurt-based beverage. They are traditionally made in 3-4 flavors- Plain Sweet, Rose, Mango and Plain Salty. I wanted to try something different, but keep it true to its roots. I really like saffron- I think it adds great subtle flavor, great color and generally pairs well with other ingredients such as almonds and cardamom. I like to use saffron in a variety of things, for instance my Vegan Saffron Cupcakes with Rose Cardamom Frosting.
I decided to experiment with saffron and lassi. It easy, filling and good for you and is also refreshing on a warm spring day.
Saffron Lassi with Cardamom & Almond:
- 1 cup whole milk yogurt
- 3-4 tbsp skim milk
- 1/4 cup saffron simple syrup (recipe below)
- 1/8 tsp finely crushed cardamom for garnishing
- sliced almonds for garnishing
- thread of saffron for garnishing (optional)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp saffron
1. In a heavy bottom pot add water and sugar. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Add saffron and let cook until its thick like a syrup.
2. Let cool till room temperature before using. Can be stored in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.
Makes about 1-2 cups
Love Saffron? Check out these other recipes using Saffron!