Looking to make a one-person, inexpensive and relatively fast dinner? This is the dish for you! What’s cool about is, you can make just one for yourself, or quickly whip up another for an unexpected friend! I was low on the groceries this evening, so I basically put together some ingredients that we had around the house. If you haven’t notice by now I’m a HUGE fan of Mexican food (next to Indian of course).
Garlicky Corn and Onion Filling:
- 1 Flour Tortilla (flour is better for rolling, compared to corn)
- 3/4 cup corn (frozen, thawed or I used a fresh ear)
- 1/2 a small white onion- diced (try to keep it the same size as the corn kernels for uniformity)
- 2 cloves garlic- crushed and chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 whole dried cayenne chilis
- coarse black pepper
- salt- pinch
- cayenne pepper- i’ll just say put to taste, considering I put enough for some of you to sweat!
- 1/2 bunch cilantro– chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- garlic powder- pinch
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup taco flavored cheese (I use Sargento Brand) or vegan substitute
- 1/2 cup Roasted Pepper Cilantro Sauce (Recipe to follow)
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- PAM olive oil flavor
1. If working with fresh corn, wrap one ear in plastic wrap and warm in the microwave for 3 minutes. Remove for microwave, and let cool for 2 minutes. On a cutting board over a sheet of paper towel, cut off the kernels.
2. Spray a small skillet with pam and pour the oil in. Add the cumin seeds and let them toast and become smokey. Add the onions and garlic. Add dried chilis, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Cook until onions have become translucent and the flavors have come together. Add the corn and saute until well combined and cooked. Add a splash of lemon juice. Turn off heat and add half of the chopped cilantro.
3. Place a tortilla on the cutting board. Spread with a thin layer of cheese. Add the corn mixture to one side. Roll and make sure to keep all the filling inside. Place on a microwave safe plate. Drizzle enchilada sauce over it, top with cheese and microwave for about 45 seconds. Garnish with cilantro and a lemon wedge and serve!
Roasted Pepper-Cilantro Sauce
- 1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream (I use Breakstones Brand) or vegan substitute
- 1/4 cup roasted peppers (from a jar, preferably packed in oil)
- 1 clove of garlic
- handful of cilantro
- pinch of salt
- coarse black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
1. Add all the ingredients into a blender, pulse until all combined and smooth.