Let’s celebrate! No, it’s not my birthday, BUT this was my first time ever making vegan cupcakes! I’m a huge fan of mojitos, and I stumbled upon different recipes for vegan mojito cupcakes. So I thought why not give it a shot? This recipe particularly caught my eye: Organic Authority. I thought to myself- if they come out as tasty and moist as regular cupcakes, then why not go the healthy vegan route? Man were they amazing!
The texture of the cake was so moist- almost as good as my banana bread! The frosting (I thought) was easier to handle then regular frosting (made with real butter and milk). It withheld to heat better then regular frosting and was easier to pipe onto the cupcakes.
Can I also just say that I love lime and mint (why I love mojitos) and this cupcake tasted like a scrumptious, delicious mojito in a cupcake form. What can be better than that?!
Mint-Infused Lime Cake:
- 1 cup soy milk- I used Silk Brand
- 10 mint leaves- ripped in half
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch- I used organic
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup sugar
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tsp dark rum- I used Bacardi Gold Rum
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- PAM Baking Flavor
- ¼ cup vegan margarine- I used Earthbalance
- ¼ cup vegan cream cheese- I used Tofutti
- 2 cups confectioner sugar
- juice from 1/4 of a lime
- 1/2 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- organic raw sugar- for garnishing (optional)
1. In a small pot/saucepan pour the soy milk and add mint leaves. Bring to a boil, then turn off and let the mint steep for about 10-15 minutes.
2. Preheat oven 350 degrees, and spray and line 1 cupcake pan. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Remove the mint leaves from the soymilk (I used a spoon) and add the sugar, oil, lime zest, lime juice and rum. Whisk until well combined. Using the same whisk, slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry whisking until the batter is smooth. DO NOT over mix. Using a ladle, ladle in the batter into the cupcake liners going up about 3/4 of the way.
3. Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
4. In a medium-sized bowl, using a hand mixer, beat the vegan butter and cream cheese until creamy and smooth. Sift in 1 cup of the powdered sugar, and beat. Sift in the 2nd cup of powdered sugar and beat until well combined. Add in the lime juice and chopped mint, and beat. Cover in plastic and store in the fridge until ready to pipe.
5. Once the cupcakes are completely cool, pipe on the frosting and sprinkle with a LITTLE bit of the raw sugar. I topped mine with fresh mint leaves and a lime rind.
Makes 12 cupcakes
Want More Cupcakes?