I love green vegetables (how can I not, I’m vegetarian!). I specifically loveee broccoli, spinach, brussel sprouts, asparagus, etc etc ETC. I had some fresh broccoli and brussel sprouts on hand, so I decided to combine them. Below is a super simple and fast side dish you can put together if you have these veggies on hand. If you don’t then you can always combine other greens – broccoli and spinach, or asparagus and brussel sprouts.
Garlicky Broccoli & Brussel Sprouts with Almonds:
- 1 cup baby brussel sprouts – cleaned and dried
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 3-4 dried red chilies
- 2 tbsp slivered almonds – toasted
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary – rosemary separated from the stem
- 3 cloves of garlic – peeled and smashed, but should retain whole shape (not minced)
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino – for garnishing (optional, especially if vegan)
- olive oil
- PAM Olive Oil flavor
1. In a large skillet, spray with PAM and add olive oil (couple of tbsp), set over medium flame. Add in the garlic and chilies. Saute for a few seconds – we don’t want the garlic to burn. Add in the brussel sprouts and broccoli florets. Toss with the garlic and chilies and saute for about 3-4 minutes. Add in the fresh rosemary and continue sauteing. You’re going to be cooking this for another 10-15 minutes until the veggies are cooked through, not soggy. Generously season with salt and pepper. Taste.
2. Once the veggies are cooked through, add in the slivered almonds and toss. Remove from heat. Right before serving, top with the grated pecorino and serve immediately.