- 1 bunch okra (about 20-25 okras cut into 1/2 circles)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 white onion- chopped in 1/2 squares
- 1 yellow/red/green bell pepper chopped into 1/2 squares
- 1 jalapeno (or to taste)- cut into half moons
- 1 clove garlic- chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- pinch cumin powder
- a little less than 1 tbsp homemade masala powder (Recipe Below)
- coarse black pepper
- lemon juice (from half a lemon)
- 1 tsp sugar
- handful of cilantro- washed and finely chopped
- PAM Original Cooking Spray
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
1. In a medium pan/heavyweight pot spray with PAM and pour oil, heat over medium flame. Add the cumin seeds and let cook for about 30 seconds until popping and fragrant. Add the onions, bell peppers and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes until halfway cooked and a bit charred. Add the chopped jalapenos and saute. Add the chopped okra and saute for a few minutes- okra will appear slimy, but it just needs to be cooked out.
2. Add the homemade masala powder, turmeric, cumin powder and salt and pepper. Cook uncovered for about 10 minutes, making sure to stir so none of the okra pieces get burned. Add the juice from half a lemon and stir. Sprinkle in the sugar. Saute the okra and vegetables until tender and all the sliminess has dissipated. Taste for salt, spice and lemon juice- it should taste spicy but have a little tang to it. I add the sugar to balance out the spice and bitterness from the lemon juice.
3. Once thoroughly cooked, place on a serving dish and top with a generous amount of chopped cilantro. Serve with rice and/or chappathi.
Serves about 2
Homemade Masala Powder:
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1-2 cloves garlic- finely chopped
- pinch hing (Asafoetida powder)- optional, but if you can find hing, it adds an aromatic and smooth flavor
- black pepper
1. In a small bowl combine all of the ingredients and mix well. Masala will be a little chunky and moist in texture. Taste for salt and spice- should taste very spicy and have a balanced level of salt. Store in a ziplock bag or air-tight container in the fridge.
Like Vegan Vegetable Dishes? Try These: